Sunday, October 18, 2015

BOOKS I'VE BEEN READING



I'm obsessed with books. I am never without a book on hand, and everyone always laughs that they never see me with the same book twice. I read a lot. Some of the books are really good, and some of them are really bad. Despite the fact that I tend to read mostly fantasy and historical fiction, I'm trying to read some other genres and expand what I'm reading. I post more detailled reviews on my Goodreads account. Here's what I've been reading this month:

--------------------

A Crown For Cold Silver
by Alex Marshall

Want some Game of Thrones without the creepy rape scenes, more strong, well-developed characters and a plot that keeps you up at night? Pick this book up. Featuring a kickass female protagonist who isn't a bright-eyed young'un, and a cast of quirky, well-rounded characters from all ages and walks of life, a Crown for Cold Silver is probably the best book I've read this year. Do yourself a favour and immerse yourself in this world, and eagerly wait for the sequel with me!

You're Never Weird on the Internet (mostly)
by Felicia Day

I love autobiographies, and I love Felicia Day, but I was a little leary to pick this book up. I'm SO happy I did - Felicia Day's life is all sorts of quirky, funny and wonderful. From learning of her relationships with her parents, to an awkward 'date' with a boy she met on the internet, I gobbled this book up in two days. And I left loving Felicia Day even more than I had before. She's one awesome gal.

The Anchoress
by Robyn Cadwallader

I came across the Anchoress because Goodreads said it was similar to Hild, one of my favourite books of all-time. While it certainly wasn't the same as Hild, the book was really, really unique, and covered a lot of heavy themes in-depth, and from the perspective of a girl in one single room. Faith, strength, the role of a woman, ecstasy, the supernatural, romance vs. violence - all of this is explored from the view of a woman who has locked herself away in a cell. While it's no page-turning thriller, it's worth a read.


 The Invasion of the Tearling
by Erika Johansen

While the first book garnered a lot of negative reviews, I actually enjoyed the Queen of Tearling. The second book, unfortunately, I had to put down after three chapters. If you plan on reading it, please feel free to skip this review, as I might spoil a bit here. The reason? I found the main character's issues with her self-image a large part of her humanity in the first book. She wasn't perfect, she hated her body, she didn't look like the usual beautiful Queen. That changes instantly in the second book, where her body mysteriously begins to 'change' to look more attractive, overnight and as if by magic.

Sigh.

I honestly couldn't stomach reading furthur, but if any of you have, should I give it a try again? Do things get better deeper in? I'd be interested to know.

The Just City
Jo Walton

The Just City is a book about Athena and Appolo taking 400 people and children from all throughout time to live in Plato's imagined Republic. It's as strange and intriguing as it sounds, and I really enjoyed the book, as challenging as it sometimes was to read. It's definitely a book for mature minds, and not an easy Sunday read, but it explores a lot of themes that books tend to not explore. Give it a try and tell me what you thought.

The Fair Fight
Anna Freeman

I loved this book. If you're craving a gritty, female-centered, mid-1800s historical fiction focused around boxing and life, then please pick this up. The Fair Fight tells the tale of a female boxer running the ranks through her life, as well as a number of other people who cross her path and interact with her. At times terrifying, tragic, hilarious and elating, the Fair Fight is a great read, unique and entertaining. I'm looking forward to the next book by the author!

----------------

What have you folks been reading this month? Anything you think I should pick up? I'd love to hear any suggestions or thoughts on the books I read this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment